Friday, June 10, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want

You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need. 

I think in this day and age it is really easy to get discouraged.  Everywhere young adults look they are told they need to be in a meaningful relationship pursuing their career goals.  Just this week a co-worker of mine told me just that, and that I need to be having babies.  Forget the fact that I do not really have a desire for such things.  I found myself in a dead end job that is far from fulfilling, surrounded by people who do not wish to be there just as much as myself, and attending the blessed traditions of bridal showers and graduation ceremonies.  Strange how the winds of change seem to blow for all at the same time. 

Surprisingly, I found myself discouraged.  Not because I am single, but because I find that perhaps I lack a purpose in my life at the moment.  It has been brought to my attention on multiple occasions that I am a very passionate person.  Without purpose in career or relationship, it is easy to get discouraged and feel as if the world is rising and I am sinking to a slow death march. 

Then, I heard this song by the Glee Cast.  “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try some times, you just might find you get what you need.”  Interesting words to a discouraged young adult in the city.  After a year of job searching, I have found the rejections make it easy to want to give in and give up.  But then, I forget how little I know about what I need. 

I know I want a good job, where there is purpose and change, and eventually some one to share that with.  However, just because that is what I want, it may not be what I need, at least at this point in time.  “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11.  I have to hold fast to the faith that I have in He who sent me.  He knows my future and the desires of my heart and He will provide for both in ways that supersede my wildest dreams. 

But the honest to goodness truth is that without really trying, I limit my possibilities to succeed and thrive in life.  It is like voting, you can’t complain about the decisions of elected officials if you did not participate in choosing them.  I cannot expect to succeed if I do not actively try.  So, I increase the quality and quantity of job applications, I open my heart up a little bit with friends and challenge myself to meet new individuals.  If I want to thrive and enjoy life, I must live it.  Life is about risk taking, jumping off the preverbal high dive, singing in the rain and dancing in the streets.  If I challenge myself, whether the outcome is success of failure, I will succeed if I give my all throughout the journey. 

So, here is to my own transition and change in the wind.  For whenever it occurs, whether I anticipate it or not, I know for sure one thing…I will be fulfilled and cherished, and cherish others.  How blest I am to find simple reminders in the least likely of places of how loved I am.  Cheers to waiting till I find what I need!  Bottoms up to you and yours this weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment